The Elephant Theatre Company is seeking a Managing Director to work alongside its Co-Artistic Directors and Cabinet in managing its company and developing and implementing marketing, management, and development initiatives.
Responsibilities of the position include:
* Maintaining financial records and enforcing the company’s compliance with its bylaws and legal requirements.
* Assist with coordinating fundraising efforts and tracking revenue streams generated from productions and fundraising efforts. Additional focus on creating and managing a grants team.
* Working with the Artistic Leadership to re-structure the Board of Directors and implement a board development strategy.
* Developing internal organization, process, and structure for the company in concert with other staff and leadership.
* Implementing a marketing strategy for the company as a whole and on individual productions.
* Growing our education and community outreach programs.
* Managing volunteers, independent contractors and staff as needed to accomplish the responsibilities iterated above.
*Strengthen and enhance the organization’s administrative departments in support of the Theatre’s expanded artistic goals and developing the resources to do so.
The ideal candidate will have:
* 1-3 years work experience in the administration of theatre.
* Experience producing theater in either an academic or equity-waiver setting.
* A bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree is a plus.
* The drive and willingness to help build from the ground up.
*The desire and ability to partner with the Theatre’s Co-Artistic Directors and to support and communicate the organization’s mission and goals.
* Have strong skills in budgeting, creating long term budgets and goals, and financial management.
* Demonstrate experience and capacity to lead, manage, motivate, inspire, train and collaborate with ensemble members, artists, Board members and volunteers.
*Have the ability to successfully develop and implement long-term strategic and annual tactical plans.
*Exhibit stamina and a strong work ethic, as well as the flexibility to deal with unpredictable pressures and a variable flow of work activity.
*Be able to speak and write persuasively and serve as a spokesperson for the company in public and to the media.
*Have experience and knowledge of marketing, advertising and public relations activities, particularly as they relate to growing ticket and other earned income revenue;
* A strong sense of humor. Seriously.
* A strong backbone and a lot of ambition!
This position is currently part-time (15-20 hours a week) and much of the work could be performed from home in combination with minimal office hours. Monthly stipend available.
The position will be filled as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted in May of 2012. Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and two references to email@example.com no later than April 16.
Applicants will be notified by April 30 if they have been selected for an interview.
About Elephant Theatre Company:
Founded in 1996, Elephant Theatre Company is one of the leading 99-Seat Equity Waiver Theatres in Los Angeles and known for producing new and contemporary works. The company consists of 80 ensemble members including playwrights, directors, producers, designers and actors. With an operating budget of $85k, the Elephant produces three main-stage productions and one short-play festival (LOVE BITES) annually. The company is committed to new play development and conducts a play reading series and play development workshops for its members.
The Elephant occupies a vibrant artistic home on Theatre Row in Hollywood in the Elephant Stageworks’ building featuring the 99 seat Lillian Theatre, the 70 seat Elephant Space, the Elephant Studio (classroom space), and a small office space. The building is leased to Elephant Stageworks rental company, and is the home of the Elephant Theatre Company.
Visit the Elephant’s website: www.ElephantTheatreCompany.com
About the Author: ENCI is an actor and recently turned writer and director. She is an urban cyclist, passionate about living intentionally, about leaving less behind and about living healthy. Enci is a member of SAG and AFTRA and is on the board of the 501(c)4 Bikeside and is co-founder of the Bike Writers Collective. Enci teaches all over town about web etiquettes and social media and is involved with the East Hollywood Neighborhood Council where she serves on the Arts & Culture Committee. Enci is passionate about leaning new things and currently she is studying ASL. You can visit her at http://EnciPerforms.com or read about her adventures at http://illuminateLA.com